Take-Along Painted Wood Growth Chart

1 x 4 Wood Growth Chart

A local customer (Birmingham, AL) asked me recently if I would make them a transportable growth chart, painted on wood.  His parents were about to move out of the house they'd lived in for over 30 years -- and on one of the doorframes they had diligently recorded the heights of all their children and grandchildren.  They didn't want to lose those sentimental markings - and I don't blame them!

Wood Painted Growth Chart

He brought me this 1" x 4" piece of wood, which I cut down to 6 1/2 feet so that it could easily be transferred through doorframes - 7ft was a little awkward to carry - while still capturing every height of their family members.

Measuring Stick as Growth Chart

After painting the numbers and names on the sign and distressing it a bit, I attached a yellow tape measure down the center of the board so that the detailed measurements would be easy to identify.  That left plenty of room for the family to add the markings of both the grown children on the left side and grandchildren on the right side of the tape measure.

6.5 ft Growth Chart

Since there won't be any height markings on the bottom foot of the growth chart, we left space for them to list the names of each of the children and grandchildren.  They've toyed around with color-coding the names and markings to identify each person.  I can't wait to see how it turns out once the markings are transferred from the door frame at the old house.

(edited to add the in-action photos below!)

Growth Chart Wood Board

Color Coded Growth Chart for Kids and Grandkids

The nice thing about this type of full-sized growth chart, since it starts at the floor with 0" is that it can move with you anywhere - a new house, wherever the family is meeting up for Christmas that year, to different rooms in the house, traveling to all the grandkids' houses, etc.  When it's not being moved around, it can rest nicely against a wall or corner and becomes a piece of sentimental artwork in the room.

I love a good sentimental project! :)

Kids & Grandkids Growith Chart

My son didn't want to be left out of the photo shoot. :)

I also make poster print growth charts in several personalize-able styles that can be framed or laminated and tacked to the wall.  Check out these growth chart (de)signs (below) and be sure to read my detailed review of a growth chart print.

Personalized Growth Chart for Kids - Ruler Growth Chart - Baroque Growth Chart - Field
Ruler Baroque Field
Growth Chart - Elegant
Elegant Dots

Comments

Wedding Djs said:

Honestly it's a unique and on of the best idea i have ever seen... the transportable growing chart is in a word "awesome"...liked it so much...

Amanda said:

Great idea! I love the idea of a transportable height marker, since you never know where life will take you. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you link up this week.

Jill said:

Wonderful way of doing a growth chart!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Paula said:

This is the cutest project ever. I think I may attempt to make one for my 5 year old. This is a wonderful idea. This is such a creative post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us. :-)

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Printabelle said:

Very sweet way to preserve memories!

BobiJensen said:

I love it! Thanks!

Bobi

Shannah @ Just Us Four said:

This is such a great idea. We've been marking out kids' measurements in our basement but I fear losing them if/when we decide to move. This is a fantastic project!

Darlene S said:

Love this idea! When we bought our new house 13 yrs ago, my husband would let me mark on any doorframes. This would have been perfect!

Jacqueline said:

What a great idea! I realized we should of done that before we started measuring the kids. Thanks for linking it up.

Angela said:

What a lovely idea! We have the children's growth progress marked on the side of our shed, but it is such a good idea to have a mobile version so you don't lost it if you move house.

K Coake said:

Looks really good! I have a similar one that I made that has made 3 moves with us. It has gotten shorter with each move as I have cut it to fit the baseboards as it hangs on the wall. I love it! My parents never moved when I was growing up so ours was just on trim in the house, but as we have moved so much, this works really well for us. Yours looks great!